So as an assignment for my oh-so-torturous Organizational Leadership capstone class, we have been asked to write a tribute to ourselves. Before we start, we have look at our core values...even narrow it down to one singular core value that is the very center of who we are.
Uh....okay. I don't know! I've never really thought about it. Everyone else in the class just said something like honesty, respect, or integrity. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Those are all well and good. And I'm sure there are plenty of people that really can say their core value is honesty. But being that I am over-analytical and incapable of "just saying something" if it's not the 100% best answer I have...when it came to be my turn, I said "I have no idea who I am." Which is only partly true. I know who I am for the most part. But I wasn't prepared with 30 seconds notice to pronounce the one thing that is at the core of my being. I was hungry, and at the time I REALLY valued Arby's roast beef.
Today on lunch, I did what any left-brained girl would do when asked to think of their core value. I googled personal core values. I found a list of probably 100 possible core values, all in alphabetical order to. So I copy and pasted the list into Microsoft Excel and I begin eliminating values. I made a list of 20, then 10, and then finally a top 5. There were some that i eliminated, like honesty, that I felt guilty getting rid of. "Let's see...no to diversity, no to responsibility..." But that is not to say I don't care about diversity or responsibility. It's just not what drives me. I am a very honest person, but it's not the core of who I am.
So here are the 5 values I am left with. I am trying to determine which ONE is my absolute core value. I don't think I'll actually have a winner...I think I'll end up picking one to satisfy her requirements, as they are all pretty dang important to me in different ways.
Authenticity
Loyalty
Practicality
Self-reliance
Tolerance
Do you know your core value? I'd be interested to hear it if you do!!
Temple Experience with Sis Scott
1 day ago
2 comments:
I don't know that I could pick one as the most important. There are a few that are important for different reasons. It's easier to cross off what isn't important then to narrow down one most important. Fun thinking question for the morning :)
What a cool assignment. And I love that you took it seriously (authenticity). It's not very often that we get to look that deeply into who we are & what drives us.
My husband is writing a book on purpose, which he defines as "the intersect of your talents, passions, and values." As I've read through his manuscript & came upon the values section, I slowed it down & really tried to dissect that part. Reading this post made me think of doing that. i like how you say that of course some things are important but it's not what drives you. SO TRUE! I would add, what grounds you. What you do without even thinking about it. I don't feel like I have just one but my list includes:
Loyalty
Compassion
Simplicity
Family
Spirituality
Post a Comment