I've also spent the last four years begging for it to be over and swearing to everything under the sun that when I was done with this degree, I would never, ever, ever go back to school ever again. As I drove away from campus after my last class last week, my eyes filled with tears and instead of joy and relief I felt sadness. Turns out I really don't mind going to class one night a week. I absolutely love the University of Indianapolis. My college career did not follow the traditional path, but the path it took ended up being pretty dang amazing. I am so proud that I will soon be able to call U Indy my alma mater. When I went to Purdue right after high school my life was full of distractions and negative energy. I was a miserable person and I didn't care about school at all. I wanted to, and I tried to for two years. But it became obvious that it just wasn't working. Leaving Purdue was a difficult decision. I felt like a failure. I was disappointed in myself and was so sure my parents would never be proud of me.
When I left Purdue, I got a temp job in Indianapolis as a receptionist for a concrete company. I was hired full time and took on a lot of responsibilities. After several promotions and a lot of good stuff for the resume, I left for my current job with Indiana University. It was a huge stepping stone and I met people there that changed me and changed my life forever. I also needed a part time job when I left Purdue to pay the bills. So I started waitressing at this comedy club in Greenwood. One side was a karaoke bar, and it was there that I met an "old" guy named Chris who sang Kenny Chesney and Garth Brooks and eventually won me over.
Being with Chris and advancing in my career allowed me to let go of the past. I realized I was no longer the damaged and lost girl that left Purdue. I was stronger and now a determined and driven woman. I was happy. My family could tell I was turning into my "old" self again. I reunited with high school friends that also helped me remember the good things about myself. It was with this new confidence that I decided to register for classes at the University of Indianapolis in August of 2007. Chris was so supportive. Looking back, neither of us had a clue what we were in for! In a way it seems like just yesterday, but it really was four long years of hard work to get here. I am so proud of my accomplishment. I did not stop smiling on Saturday. When I heard "Kelly Ann Denney, summa cum laude" as I crossed the stage, I looked up in the bleachers and there were my parents beaming with pride. They always believed in me and knew this day would come. I also know that they would still be proud of me even if it hadn't.
| Mom & Joe |
| Dad & Brenda |
However, the coolest thing about this long and twisted path that led to my graduation, was that my husband was also there in the bleachers for this amazing moment in my life. The man who encouraged me when I had the crazy idea to go back to school and then heard me complain about every bad teacher, whine about the STUPID papers, and listened when I sobbed and promised him that I was actually going to have a heart attack before I could give a presentation in class. lol He deserves this diploma as much as I do. He later told me he got a little teary eyed when I walked across the stage. He is so proud of me. That is an amazing feeling. I remember when we got married and I changed my name, I was a little sad that I didn't graduate from college as Kelly Showalter, but Saturday I realized that it is very appropriate that my diploma will read Kelly Ann Denney.
| Me & Chris, the best husband ever. |
I made many good friends at U Indy, I learned a lot and proved a lot of things to myself. It has been an amazing experience. I am sad to see it go. I will miss the campus, the atmosphere, and my friends. I will NOT miss the homework and especially writing papers, but I also would not be surprised if I end up in the Master's program in a few years. I think I've created a monster.
![]() |
| May 7, 2011 Bachelor of Science in Organizational Leadership University of Indianapolis |

2 comments:
Kelly!!!! That is amazing. What a story you have. I loved reading every word. And reading made me miss college. I love the atmosphere On campus, love to learn & an excuse to do so. Anyway-congrats!!! And beautiful pIcs.
What a HUUUUUGE accomplishment!! Thank you so much for sharing. I love how you wrote your whole story. I think writing & journaling life's experiences is so therapeutic. Good luck on your next adventure.
Post a Comment