Thursday, April 28, 2011

I love you bigger than the sky.

My Mother-in-Law passed away two years ago today.  She wasn't technically my Mother-in-Law yet, but we both knew I wasn't going anywhere. :) She had considered me her daughter from the first time she met me. Even telling me she loved me as I left that day! She was a one of a kind very special woman.  She did not have an easy life and she dealt with so many health problems.  She nearly died from a brain aneurysm in 1993.  The doctors performed a brand new procedure that saved her life and gave her another 16 years with her family.  In those 16 years she got to be "Gaga" to 6 grandchildren.  She was also around long enough to meet the woman who would finally put up with Chris. :) Just kidding. 

But one of the most amazing miracles of her extra time on earth, was the opportunity to meet her oldest son, that she gave up for adoption at only 16 years old.  After searching on an off over the years, Jackie and Bret were reunited in October of 2008.  The meeting took place in our home and it was one of the most amazing moments of my life so far.  Bret discovered he had 3 full brothers and a full sister! He got to meet his Dad too. Jackie met Bret's wife, and one of his daughters who was able to make the trip. She had 2 more grandaughters and she loved them instantly as well.  She had a heart with enough room to love everyone she met.  I am SO grateful that she was given that second chance so many years ago. 

Sometimes I am so sad she is not here.  She didn't get to be at our wedding. Although, if she had been there no one could have heard the ceremony over her tears! That woman could cry!! :)  I wish she was going to be here next Saturday, when I walk across the stage at my college graduation ceremony; it just happens to fall on her birthday. She was so proud of me for going back to school.  She rejoiced over every A and never let me forget how much she admired me.  Mostly, I am sad that she will never know my children; and that they will never know her.  Of course we'll show them pictures and tell them all about their Gaga.  I try to remember on occasions like our wedding, graduation, the birth of our first child...while we can't see her here, she is definitely looking in on us and she's got a pretty good view from up there. 

I am so grateful that I was able to know her and love her.  I am grateful that she raised Chris to be such an amazing husband and I know he'll be an amazing father because of her love and influence as well.  My sister-in-law and I sat with her in the hospital in the wee hours of the morning until she passed away.  The nurses told us to tell her it was okay to go.  It was a very difficult thing to do, but I am glad to know she is no longer in pain like she was here.  A favorite saying of hers was "I love you bigger than the sky." We miss you, Mom...and we all love you bigger than the sky!

Taken in October 2008 when she met Bret.
   

0 comments: