I consider myself an expert when it comes to French Toast. I looooove French Toast. At high school XC camp, I beat out everyone (boys included) in the French Toast eating contest. As a rule, each slice had to have butter and syrup. 14 slices, thankyouverymuch. If a restaurant serves French Toast...I've tried it. As far as I am concerned, as restaurants go, the award for best French Toast easily goes to Cracker Barrel. Sourdough bread, grilled perfectly with just a little egg that forms on the edge of the slices...and that sweet maple syrup in the warm little bottles. The award for the WORST restaurant French Toast is easily awarded to Steak n Shake. I know, you're shocked! No, you're not. Seriously though...it was green. Enough said.
For my bridal shower I received a family griddle from my new sister-in-law and family. I couldn't wait to bust out the griddle and make French Toast. I googled for recipes...thought this one sounded pretty good/easy, and boy did I hit the jack-pot. First recipe tried. Last recipe tried. LOVE this French Toast. It beats Cracker Barrel, and I made it!!! Sure, it doesn't scream healthy...but health consciousness is way, way, way in the back of my mind where French Toast is involved, e.g., 14 slices in one sitting. The recipe came from one of my favorite sites ever: www.mrbreakfast.com. It's a breakfast lover's dream.
Alright so I'll end the love letter to French Toast and get on with the recipe. I hope if you try it, you love it as much as I do.
"Oui monsieur bonjour coquette
Uh huh croissante vous et ver
Maurice Chevalier Eiffel Tower
Oui Marie baguette bon soir
French Toast!"
- Heywood Banks, Yeah Toast!
Vanilla Cream French Toast
(4 servings)
8 slices of French Bread (the thicker the better)
1/2 cup heavy cream or whipping cream
2 large eggs
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Butter or margarine for frying (I skip this and butter the slices after.)
In a medium shallow bowl, mix together the cream, eggs, sugar and vanilla.
Dip bread slices into egg mixture, coating both sides generously.
On a griddle or skillet at medium heat, melt butter or margarine and cook each slice until both sides are golden-brown. You can place completed French Toast slices on a serving plate in an oven set to 100 degrees -- to keep finished slices warm as you cook the others.

2 comments:
14 slices in one sitting, very impressive! French bread has just been added to the grocery list and we will be trying this over weekend. My ever expanding waist line appreciates this :)
Oh yeah, like I said...calories, shmalories. :) Also, I was going to suggest that since there are more than two of you, you might double the "dip" I always throw out some leftover French Bread because the recipe as listed above coats about 6 slices nicely, one slice okay, and one more very scarcely. Even if you just dip, flip, and drip. Tell me if you all like it though! :)
Post a Comment