Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

I can hardly believe it is 2010.  I feel like I was writing my New Year post for 2009 just a couple of months ago.  Chris and I stayed in last night and enjoyed a low-key New Year's Eve celebration with movies and pizza from our favorite pizza place.  We toasted to the new year at midnight, finished our last movie and then went to bed. Pretty uneventful, but just what we had hoped for.

2009 wasn't a bad year. For the most part, it was a pretty good year. The worst part was, of course, losing Chris' newborn niece and then his mother on April 26th and 28th.  That was a very hard time. But we survived. With the economy as bad as it has been, I am definitely aware how much worse this year could have been for us. Chris has still managed to get enough work to pay the bills. We always pray for more calls and more work for him, but still, he's gotten by. I am lucky enough to still have my job. And we still have our home.  We have working vehicles to get us where we need to go.  We have great friends and family.  And we have each other.

I fully realize how corny it sounds to say that, but it really is true.  Throughout the trials of losing a loved one and a worsening economy...we've stuck together and gotten through. I don't gush on and on about Chris very much. But it's New Year's and I'm feeling a little sappy. :) I really lucked out when I found him. He is my best friend. He understands me...sometimes better than I understand myself. He pushes me to overcome fears and insecurities. And he has made me a better person.  I had sort of lost myself for a few years after high-school. I feel as if it is no coincidence that my life made a turn for the better when I started dating him.  On July 17th, 2010 we will celebrate 5 years together. We decided the best way to celebrate would be by making it official. We've known for several years that we would always be together. That's why we had no problem buying a house together three years ago.  Or adopting our baby Jackson. (Who reminds us every day that we are QUITE ready for a real baby!) And so we are very excited to be getting married this summer!

When I look at all that 2010 has to offer...it puts a big smile on my face. Marrying my best friend and one true love in July. Possibly getting my looooooong awaited Bachelor's Degree in December. (We'll see how that works out!) I know there are likely to be some disappointments and some down times, but I know we'll get through those times just fine.  I am hopeful and optimistic for 2010!! I hope it is a great year for us and for all the people we love! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

1 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm glad you got all mushy!! CONGRATS!!!!!!! So happy for you. You will be one busy lady with all the planning. But it's fun planning so that's good. Love the new pictures on the side. And lots of love to you:)